- Peak month for summer wildflowers to bloom.
- Month of the spider: their numbers and webs reach their peak this month.
- Shorebird migration builds and waterfowl migration starts.
- Squirrels give birth to their second broods.
- Purple Martins go south (adults by the start of the month, juveniles by the end of the month).
- Butterflies such as Gulf Fritillary, Ocola Skipper and Queen migrate along the coastal plain and inland in the east of the region.
- Chimney Swifts can be seen in large flocks over chimneys at dusk.
- Second brood of hummingbirds begin to appear at feeders early- to mid-month.
- Perseids Meteor shower is mid-month.